Successful launch of plans for Watford Colosseum...
(22nd December 2009)
Watford Borough Council
and HQ Theatres showcased the exciting plans for Watford Colosseums refurbishment last Thursday evening.
Council officers, along with staff from HQ Theatres, the architects and members of the design team including Arup Acoustics were available to talk through the improvements planned for Watford’s celebrated music hall and entertainment venue.
Elected Mayor Dorothy Thornhill said: “We are taking the opportunity to give the building the facelift it needs and deserves. With the Colosseum and the Palace Theatre, Watford residents really have a first class entertainment mix on offer.”
As part of the design, HQ Theatres have:
• Commissioned one of the country’s leading acousticians to ensure that they protect the superb acoustic the Colosseum offers
• Engaged The Arts Team, the leading arts architectural firm in the country, to develop the new design vision for the Colosseum
• Ensured that classical music will remain a mainstay of the programme by securing the BBC Concert Orchestra residency
• Improved the bars and hospitality operation to encourage all day use of the Colosseum
• Provided for full access to the balcony via a lift from the new extended foyer
Derek Nicholls, Chief Executive of HQ Theatres, said: “Successful venues are not born from standardisation. What works for one venue in one town might not work in another. Residents of Watford have my absolute assurance that quality of programme and service are at the top of our agenda for the Colosseum.”
The display boards will be in the Customer Service Centre at the Town Hall for the next two weeks, until Christmas Eve, when the display will move to the foyer of the Colosseum. For regular updates, please visit: www.watford.gov.uk/watfordcolosseum