Datchworth is an attractive village situated between Welwyn Garden City (4 miles south) and Stevenage (4 miles north). The village is made up of a number of smaller villages that over time have all but merged into one. Such villages include Datchworth, Datchworth Green and Painters Green.|
On the green, be sure to check both sides of the impressive village sign - it has wonderful pictures telling the history of the village and what it means to live in Datchworth. The sign was erected in 2000 to mark the millennium. Also on the village green is The Whipping Post. Still visible but protected behind bars, The Whipping Post was used for public floggings until 27th July 1665.
At the crossroads in the village are two pubs situated opposite each other - The Tilbury (The Inn on the Green) and The Plough. Also at the crossroads are village shops and the post office. Datchworth Museum is situated near to The Plough and explains the history of the village with objects donated or lent by local people.
The village church - All Saints Church - is situated about 1/2 mile from the village green and crossroads. The church is situated on a hill and the church spire can be seen from many miles away. A flower festival takes place at the church in the summer.
The village has many active sports clubs. On summer weekends at Datchworth Green you will see Datchworth Cricket Club playing matches. Datchworth Tennis Club runs 2 outdoor tennis courts on the green. Datchworth Bowls Club competes in a local league and has a modern clubhouse. Datchworth Rugby Club also plays in a local league.
There is a primary school and a nursery school in the village.